What You Need to Know About a 462 Visa

A 462 Visa offers the privilege of vacationing and working in Australia for a period of one year. (Note that this is unique from the Working Holiday Visa, which works for a different set of countries and is less strict in its requirements.)


The first requirement for eligibility is a valid passport from one of 23 countries, which includes United States. You should also be between 18 and 31 years of age upon application. From here, the requirements become more specific:

> Funds not less than 5,000 Australian dollars or $3,700 as evidence that you can spend for yourself in Australia

> Health-related requirements, including passing a certain health exam

> Police certificate from any country in which you resided for at least a year at any point within in the last 10 years

> No pending debt to the Australian government

> Educational requirements, such as high school diploma for US citizens


To apply for a Work and Holiday visa, you need to pay a fee of 450 Australian dollars (around $334), but this excludes credit card fees and other processing charges. Expect your total costs to be around $365.

Online Application for American Citizens

American citizens cannot apply for a 462 Visa with paperwork. Instead, you have to do it through the Australian government’s website, except when you have a child who is a minor (below 18). In that case, you’ll need to coordinate with the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

Waiting Time

Processing a 462 visa takes about 34 days 75% of the time, and around 80 days for the rest of the applications.


Each country eligible for a 462 visa has an annual quota. Because the visa year starts every July 1st, you can be guaranteed a spot if you submit your application anytime within July or August.

What a 462 Visa Allows During Your Stay in Australia

As we mentioned earlier, a 462 visa’s key purpose is to vacation and work in Australia for a span of one year. Because the Australian government doesn’t want you to work during your entire stay, they will allow you to work for a maximum of six months per employer. They will let you work beyond six months, but at another job.

Aside from working, you can also study for a maximum of four months during your visit. (Work and study time can be continuous or non-continuous.)

Second 462 Visa

Before you can get a second visa, you should spend no less than three months of your stay in any listed industry in Northern Australia (tourism, tree farming and felling, fishing and pearling, and plant and animal agriculture). You need not work for three months straight, but you do need to have paid work for a total of three months (volunteering doesn’t count). Lastly, there is no quota when it comes to second 462 visas.